Thursday, May 20, 2010

Conception and childbirth


I've had a strong desire to know what God says about these things so I've been on a pursuit to find out. I'm especially interested in God being in control of our wombs. Does He open and close the womb? Does He create life or is it just by chance? and Does God determine when your child is to be born? Not us? I'm curious about these things.
God commanded fruitfulness in Genesis before the fall. "Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it" (Gen. 1:28). We know that children are from the Lord. They are His reward, His heritage, and He is the One who opens and closes the womb. In Gen.29:31, Gen. 30:22 and 1 Samuel 1:6 all talk of how God opened and closed the womb. There is no question that the bible teaches that God is in charge of conception.
When I was pregnant with Emma I was so worried that I would have her when Adam would be at work, thousands of miles away. I was so scared of delivering her by myself that on his days off I drank a whole bottle of Castro oil to get labor going. It worked but only after my midwife stripped my membranes. The bible says "Why then have you brought me out of the womb" (Job 10:18) and "You are He who took me out of the womb" (Psalm 71:6). It is the Lord who not only opens the womb, but He brings forth children from the womb. Wow, I can't play God when it comes to planning conception or delivery. It is all of God's doing. I must be humble when I consider what He ordains to do in and through my body. I must look to God for His sustaining grace through all aspects of this wonderful and awesome experience.
I want to learn to think biblically about every area of life, but particularly in this one that is so connected with who I am as a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment